Working With Us: The Process
At your first consultation, you will have a conversation with your doctor about your health concerns. Your doctor will discuss all facets of your health as related to your current issues: physical symptoms, past medical history, diet, lifestyle and mental/emotional factors such as stress. At this visit, your doctor will review any lab work you’ve already had done and determine if any further testing is necessary. She or he will explain the self-healing process of naturopathic medicine and her/his role as your teacher and guide to returning your body to balance. This visit is one hour.
At the end of the visit, your doctor will compile a list of initial recommendations based on your goals and health priorities.
These recommendations might include:
- Lab work: The goal of naturopathic medicine is always to identify the cause of your health issue. Lab work is essential to uncovering where exactly that imbalance lies. For a complete list of the cutting edge, functional lab testing the Dr. Maura Practice uses, click here.
- Nutritional modifications: There is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all diet. The doctors tailor their dietary recommendations specifically to your biochemical makeup. If there is a specific approach you would benefit from—whether related to gut, autoimmune, hormone or the like—your doctor will thoroughly explain what changes need to be made.
- Supplement recommendations: The Dr. Maura Practice uses a variety of supplements including herbal medicine, nutrients, enzymes, amino acids, probiotics and homeopathy. Your doctor will make recommendations based both on your symptoms and your lab results; some natural therapies will be implemented at the first visit and others might be started after your doctor has been able to see lab results.
- Lifestyle changes: Because healing involves the entire body, your doctor might make movement and exercise suggestions, as well as mind/body approaches to reduce stress and enhance the body’s ability to heal.
- Referrals: If your doctor feels you would benefit from the evaluation of a specialist, she will make a recommendation during the course of treatment. She has a wide network of acupuncturists, massage therapists, chiropractors and other healers whose modality might provide adjunctive healing.
At the first followup, your doctor will go through your initial set of lab work, explaining thoroughly what each result means and its impact on your health. This visit is 45 minutes.
The doctors typically see their patients every 4-6 weeks until symptoms are resolved, modifying your treatment plan according to symptoms and possible lab work. Your doctor will determine which interval is appropriate for you, always with an eye toward fine-tuning your health journey for optimal results. These visits are 30 minutes.
After your immediate concerns have resolved, we suggest periodic check-in visits to maintain the success you’ve achieved and address any new concerns. Your doctor might periodically recommend re-checking certain lab parameters.
Remote Consultations: The Dr. Maura Practice works with patients all over the United States and around the world. These visits will be conducted similarly to an in-person consultation, over the phone or by video. Currently all visits are done remotely.