Working With Us: The Process
At your first consultation, you will have a conversation with Dr. Maura or Dr. Galina about your health concerns. Your doctor will discuss all facets of your health as related to your current issues: physical symptoms, past medical history, diet, lifestyle and mental/emotional factors such as stress. At this visit, your doctor will review any lab work you’ve already had done and determine if any further testing is necessary. She will explain the self-healing process of naturopathic medicine and her role as your teacher and guide to returning your body to balance. This visit is one hour.
At the end of the visit, your doctor will compile a list of initial recommendations based on your goals and health priorities.
These recommendations might include:
- Lab work: The goal of naturopathic medicine is always to identify the cause of your health issue. Lab work is essential to uncovering where exactly that imbalance lies. For a complete list of the cutting edge, functional lab testing the Dr. Maura Practice uses, click here.
- Nutritional modifications: There is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all diet. The doctors tailor their dietary recommendations specifically to your biochemical makeup. If there is a specific approach you would benefit from—whether related to gut, autoimmune, hormone or the like—your doctor will thoroughly explain what changes need to be made.
- Supplement recommendations: The Dr. Maura Practice uses a variety of supplements including herbal medicine, nutrients, enzymes, amino acids, probiotics and homeopathy. Your doctor will make recommendations based both on your symptoms and your lab results; some natural therapies will be implemented at the first visit and others might be started after your doctor has been able to see lab results.
- Lifestyle changes: Because healing involves the entire body, your doctor might make movement and exercise suggestions, as well as mind/body approaches to reduce stress and enhance the body’s ability to heal.
- Referrals: If your doctor feels you would benefit from the evaluation of a specialist, she will make a recommendation during the course of treatment. She has a wide network of acupuncturists, massage therapists, chiropractors and other healers whose modality might provide adjunctive healing.
The first followup can be considered the second half of the initial visit. Your doctor will go through your initial set of lab work, explaining thoroughly what each result means and its impact on your health. This visit is 45 minutes.
Dr. Maura and Dr. Galina typically see their patients every 4-6 weeks until symptoms are resolved, modifying your treatment plan according to symptoms and possible lab work. Your doctor will determine which interval is appropriate for you, always with an eye toward fine-tuning your health journey for optimal results. These visits are either 15 or 30 minutes.
After your immediate concerns have resolved, we suggest periodic check-in visits to maintain the success you’ve achieved and address any new concerns. Your doctor might periodically recommend re-checking certain lab parameters.
Craniosacral Sessions: In these sessions, the doctor will focus only on Craniosacral Therapy to address your health needs. For an explanation of what craniosacral therapy is and how you might benefit from it, click here.
Remote Consultations: Dr. Maura and Dr. Galina works with patients all over the United States and around the world. These visits will be conducted similarly to an in-person consultation, over the phone or by video. Currently all visits are done remotely due to COVID-19.
Home Visits: For those wishing to receive naturopathic care in the comfort of their home, Dr. Maura is available to consult this way. Please call the office to arrange.
We reserve scheduled appointments specifically for you. Because appointments with Dr. Maura last much longer than standard doctor visits, cancellations/no-shows cause significant scheduling interruption. We appreciate a minimum of 48 hours’ notice for the cancellation of New Patient Visits and Established Patient Visits.
Please be aware that there appointments canceled less than 24 hours in advance will be charged at the full appointment fee. We will always attempt to contact you first prior to collecting fees to discuss any extenuating circumstances leading to the cancellation/no-show.
Payment is expected at the time of service in the form of cash, check or credit card.
We do require a credit card on file to book an appointment and will charge the card accordingly in the event of a late cancellation/no-show.
In addition, Intake Forms must also be received prior to your visit via our Charm Health patient portal.
Insurance does not cover naturopathic medicine in New York. We can provide a form for you to self submit to your insurer’s Health Savings Account (HSA) or Flexible Spending Account (FSA) upon request. We do not accept insurance as a form of payment.
We encourage patients to call the office or message (via the Charm Health Patient Portal) with questions regarding their treatment plan. We want to ensure your success, which relies on open lines of communication. Phone calls are returned by the end of the business day on which your call is received. Messages are usually responded to within 24-48 hours. We do not provide after hours or urgent care.
Please be aware that electronic communication is only for brief clarification questions. New, detailed or urgent concerns that require discussion and case management will arise. If there is a need for longer discussion regarding new symptoms or new concerns, we will reply to a phone inquiry or message to recommend that you schedule a follow-up appointment, and fees will be applied accordingly at the appointment.