Dr. Shannon Cavanaugh
Dr. Shannon Cavanaugh is one of the foremost naturopathic experts in the areas of fertility and preconception and has helped many women who have struggled with infertility achieve healthy pregnancies. She brings real passion and dedication to each and every one of her patients struggling with fertility — and to those seeking to optimize their chances for getting and staying pregnant. With Dr. Maura, Dr. Shannon stays on top of the emerging science and data on fertility, while marrying it with time-tested functional medicine and naturopathic modalities.
Credentials, Education and Achievements:
- Bachelor of Science in Nutritional Sciences and Biochemistry at the University of Arizona
- Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine at Sonoran University of Health Sciences
- Postgraduate General Medicine Residency at Sonoran University of Health Sciences Medical Center
- Board Certified by the North American Board of Naturopathic Examiners
- Licensed Naturopathic Physician by the States of Alaska and Arizona
Member of the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians
Special Training & Emphasis On:
- Advanced Integrative Infertility
- Male Factor Infertility
- Preconception Care
- Women’s Health
- Contraceptive Counseling and Education
Why I became a naturopathic doctor:
- As a young woman I found myself needing more than what conventional women’s healthcare had to offer. No matter my concerns, it seemed hormonal birth control was my only option. But what I really needed was more time with providers during visits, more access to testing, options besides pharmaceuticals, and more than anything, an investigation into the root cause of my symptoms. Naturopathic medicine was this and I have since set out to provide this high level of care as my standard of practice.
What conditions I love to treat:
- Infertility, recurrent pregnancy loss, preconception preparation
- Women’s Health: Irregular periods, amenorrhea, PCOS, endometriosis, PMS, acne, thyroid imbalance, transitioning off hormonal birth control
Things you may not know about me:
- I love all things regenerative wellness including regular cold plunges in the nearby river.
- My hobbies include gardening, yoga, and running.
- I am a proud dog mom to a 5-lb chihuahua named Hazel.
- My fiancé and I enjoy long distance backpacking and canoeing in remote backcountry every summer.