Dr. Shannon Cavanaugh
Dr. Maura is extremely pleased to have Dr. Shannon Cavanaugh in the practice. Dr. Shannon is a foremost naturopathic expert in the areas of fertility and women’s health, bringing together the best of naturopathic and functional medicine. Her areas of interest and expertise are preconception, unexplained infertility, menopause/perimenopause, PCOS, hair loss and hormonal acne.
In addition to hormone imbalance, Dr. Cavanaugh is an expert in gut health, which underlies so many health and hormone issues.
She brings enthusiasm and dedication to the individual picture of each of her patients struggling with fertility — and to those seeking to optimize their hormonal health.
Credentials, Education and Achievements:
- Bachelor of Science in Nutritional Sciences and Biochemistry at the University of Arizona
- Doctor of Naturopathic Medicine at Sonoran University of Health Sciences
- Postgraduate General Medicine Residency at Sonoran University of Health Sciences Medical Center
- Board Certified by the North American Board of Naturopathic Examiners
- Licensed Naturopathic Physician by the States of Alaska and Arizona
- Member of the American Association of Naturopathic Physicians
Special Training & Emphasis On:
- Advanced Integrative Infertility
- Male Factor Infertility
- Preconception Care
- Women’s Hormonal Health
- Contraceptive Counseling and Education
Why I became a naturopathic doctor:
- As a young woman I found myself needing more than what conventional women’s healthcare had to offer. No matter my concerns, it seemed hormonal birth control was my only option. But what I really needed was more time with providers during visits, more access to testing, options besides pharmaceuticals, and more than anything, an investigation into the root cause of my symptoms. Naturopathic medicine was this and I have since set out to provide this high level of care as my standard of practice.
What conditions I love to treat:
- Infertility, recurrent pregnancy loss, preconception preparation
- Women’s Health: Irregular periods, amenorrhea, PCOS, endometriosis, PMS, acne, hair loss, thyroid imbalance, transitioning off hormonal birth control
Things you may not know about me:
- I love all things regenerative wellness including regular cold plunges in the nearby river.
- My hobbies include gardening, yoga, and running.
- I am a proud dog mom to a 5-lb chihuahua named Hazel.
- My fiancé and I enjoy long distance backpacking and canoeing in remote backcountry every summer.
What Patients Say About Dr. Shannon Cavanaugh
"Thanks to Dr. Shannon, I became pregnant and I just cannot thank her enough, and express how happy I am to have found The Dr. Maura Practice. I’m in my late 30s and was diagnosed with unexplained infertility; my reproductive endocrinologist said my only choice was IVF. I knew that there was more to the story. A friend recommended this practice and Dr. Shannon. She spent a good deal of time understanding my history and ran a series of functional tests. From all of that, she was able to put together the ‘why’s’ around my infertility that no other doctor had even touched on. A few months into her protocol, I became pregnant naturally! I’m overjoyed and would recommend her and this practice to any woman who is looking to get answers around infertility."
"I was so worried about stopping birth control and what would happen to my PCOS symptoms. Thankfully I found Dr. Shannon! Forever grateful to her for guiding me step by step on how to successfully stop birth control and for simultaneously addressing my PCOS at the root cause. I've never met a doctor like her before: she truly understands women's hormones and was able to look at me as an individual and tell me exactly what I needed to do to have a normal period — no PCOS symptoms (acne, hair loss, weight gain). I truly recommend her for anyone with similar issues, she's incredible."
Infertility is a significant challenge for millions of couples globally, and male factor infertility plays a substantial role, contributing to over 40% of infertility cases. When couples embark on their fertility journey, a... Read More.